September 07, 2006

How I got my agent

Six years ago, I set out to be a writer. At first, it was a hobby then it turned serious four years into the process. I joined various forums trying to figure out what I was actually doing. About that time, I met Naomi my wonderful friend. We traded info and work many times.

After 3 years of development and writing my first book in my series was finished. There was a lot of discussion about how similar my work was to LKH. I went through and made changes. Shopped around for and agent, nothing. I put the book a side and started the second.

I changed my series several times went back to the first book. Again, I sent out queries and I had some nibbles. From top-tier agents at that. I refuse to give up on the series or me. July 13, 2006 I was getting so frustrated. At that time I was waiting to hear from and agent that had a full manuscript and a publishing house.

I stared at Ricia Mainhardt’s web site. I picked up the phone and called. To my surprise, someone answered the phone. And, not just anyone it was Ricia herself. I thought ‘wait you’re not supposed to answer the phone. I don’t know what to say. Especially to a huge agent.’ I got over that quick. I explained my situation and she said to email her the first couple of chapters. ‘I’ll get back to you Friday,’ she says.

I did exactly what she said and that was about 3:30 or 4:30. My head was totally spinning at that point. Around 7:00 the same day, she calls back. ‘I love it,’ she say’s. Okay I’m thinking I love this woman because she loves my work. She offered to represent me on the spot. That’s how I got my agent.

I want to remind everyone. A phone pitch isn’t always wanted or excepted. Do it your way.

8 Comments:

At September 08, 2006 7:04 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

So perseverence does pay off! Mind you, I know that - I've been writing since I was tiny. I used to buy packs of animal stickers and write stories about the pictures. I wrote two fantasy trilogies by the time I was 19. Unfortunately they were rubbish. But hey, it's all paying off now...

 
At September 08, 2006 1:39 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Nope I'm just hard headed. I started writing for myself when I was nine.

I think what I'm trying to say is never give up.

 
At September 08, 2006 3:33 PM , Blogger Cyberoutlaw said...

Fate was really on your side that day. It's good to know that there are agents who are willing to take a call. Incredible story.

Just curious. Had you published anything previously, stories, articles, things like that? Or was her interest based solely on your phone pitch?

 
At September 08, 2006 6:30 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Outlaw, I have had a couple short stories published. And a book review. But Ricia signed me solely on my series.

 
At September 09, 2006 7:12 AM , Blogger Charlie said...

I think it's a encouraging tale! (I call it that because 'story' doesn't sound quite good enough =P )

I agree with Naomi, perseverence must pay off!

Now, I just need to start sending stuff out again =P

 
At September 09, 2006 1:06 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

I have a stack of rejections about 3 inches high. At first it bummed me out. Then if it's a form rejection ya kind of learn to blow it off. But when you started getting written comment you see if there's a pattern. That might be a problem.

Remember rejections are part of the process. Good luck to all of you trying to find an agent. Just make sure you have a killer letter to send out.

 
At September 09, 2006 3:50 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Thanks S me too.

 
At September 12, 2006 1:57 PM , Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

This is a rare case. Most literary agents don't even answer their own phone, lol. Seems as if the stars were aligned just right for you that day. Major cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home