September 13, 2006

Action

Okay so I’m writing. Now I wonder how much hell to put my mc through. As anyone can tell you, I love my characters to jump through hoops. How much action as a reader do you like to see in a book? For me the more, the better. But, at what point do you say, wow does this character ever rest. Or do you?

I want a real page-turner but I don’t want my readers feeling exhausted after reading a chapter. Any thought on the issue? Although my CP has read the first half of the book and loved it. The action I mean. When do you draw the line?

As for me, I will more than likely have (Logan) my mc jumping through hoops all the way to the end.

9 Comments:

At September 14, 2006 6:05 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

It's nice to have a balance between action and rest, I think. It's great when the heroine is jumping through her hoops, but if they're doing that for 300 pages, they'll probably drop dead of exhaustion in the sequel!

 
At September 14, 2006 11:14 AM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Logan does have minimal down time. I will totally give her a little extra.

 
At September 14, 2006 1:45 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

It's always hard to say. I try to give my characters a little down time, but sometimes I fear that I give them too much down time. But then, it also depends on the type of story. I think it's one of those questions that has no "one right answer", but lots of right answers, depending.

 
At September 14, 2006 2:28 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

I'm working on a scene now. Not a lot of physical action. But it is really intense. And no its not a sex scene.

 
At September 14, 2006 10:52 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Well I'm pretty pleased with myself. I just kick out two chapters today. I'm hoping the momentum will stay with me.

 
At September 15, 2006 12:27 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

S totally my idea.

 
At September 15, 2006 12:58 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

S- I'm doing good on my word count. I do believe I will keep my schedule and be done by oct. 1.

 
At September 15, 2006 1:30 PM , Blogger Zinnia said...

Heh, nowadays that's all I read in publishing related articles. Give us action, give us something unique, give it to us and watch us run the other way...nevermind, LOL. I tend to rant a lot about publishers and agents.

 
At September 15, 2006 2:42 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Hey Zinnia. I just visited one of your blog. Totally interesting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home