August 19, 2008

Growing up

Today as I was helping my fourteen-year-old, six foot daughter ready for high school. I was painting her nails for her; she looked at me real serious. Now to set the mood. All day long, we were getting things ready for school Thursday. At my suggestion, we were getting her spray tanned because she takes meds that the side effect is sun sensitivity.

Daughter: Mom can I ask you something?

Me: sure.

Daughter: Have you ever felt like you were growing up to soon?

I sat there and thought about it. Me: Sure, everyone goes through it, why?

With tears in here eyes. Daughter: I just wanted to know.

I was finished painting her nails and she got up without a word and went back to her room. I went in to her room to put away her nail polish. I looked at her and she looked sad. I felt horrible for her.

Me to daughter: Do you sometimes feel like you want to grow but another part of you is screaming ‘this is too much too fast?

Daughter: yeah how did you know?

Me: because I went through the same thing.

She looked relieved but the tears were still there.

3 Comments:

At August 20, 2008 4:47 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

Ww, hugs for your daughter. Growing up can be rough. I struggled with depression through my early teens and always felt like I was a few years behind everyone else - I wasn't interested in boys or fashion, and I felt like there must be something wrong with me.

And here I am at 25, still struggling with depression, still not interested in fashion and still watching Bucky O'Hare and She-Ra, except now that makes me cool in other people's eyes instead of weird, lol. I don't think we ever finish growing up and I'm sure your daughter will be fine.

 
At August 20, 2008 12:33 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Yes she'll be fine. I went through this stage when I was 10 or 11. But it lasted forever.

 
At September 05, 2008 8:37 PM , Blogger Kim Smith said...

ah... i went through a similar scenario only in reverse.
daughter was painting my nails
"Mom, you're getting old"
me
Why? What makes you say that?
Daughter
Because you keep asking me the same things over and over. I already told you (whatever it was).
Me
I guess so.

Sigh. It's hard when they grow up but it's harder when we grow old.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home