May 14, 2008

Writers & Scripts

I read about a dozen of blogs a day and every one of them is writers with the exception of a couple. What I’ve noticed about writers no matter what they write or if they’re a best selling author or not, we all have one thing in common. At one time or another during each novel, they write they have doubts about themselves.

I kind of makes me feel good that some of my favorite writers doubt their writing. I don’t think they doubt their ability as writers but we all know that writing novels aren’t just all technical. We have to worry about flow, if it sounds believable to the reader and if a character has blue eyes that somewhere later in the book, they don’t turn to brown eyes.

I’m sure a published writer’s confidence is a lot higher with each book but it seems to be always there. Any thoughts on the subject?

After Heaven’s Door is finished and being shopped around the next project, I want to tackle is a television script. That type of writing is totally different from novels.

6 Comments:

At May 15, 2008 8:13 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

Good look on script-writing. I did a term of that at uni and never really took to it. It requires a completely different set of rules than manuscript writing. How is Heaven's Door coming anyway?

I think in some ways it may be more difficult for published authors, especially if they'd had a successful debut, for example. The pressure to repeat that success would be pretty intense.

 
At May 15, 2008 12:29 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Heaven's Door is coming along. I wanted to try script writing.

I think no matter where a writer is in their career they still second guess themselves.

 
At May 16, 2008 3:13 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

Let me know how the script writing goes. I may have a book from uni about it lying around somewhere I could send you if you like?

 
At May 16, 2008 10:20 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

I'm using Storm of the Century as my guide. I'll let you know.

 
At May 16, 2008 11:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So recently on Neil Gaiman's blog he spoke about feeling down about his book. And he said that his agent responded "Oh, you're at that point in the novel then" and to his amazement the agent pointed out that at a certain point in his writing he always gets discouraged. If Neil Gaiman, dark god of language, does it, why should we peon be any better? :)

 
At May 17, 2008 1:35 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

I think that it's an artistic thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home