June 09, 2008

Critique Partners

What is a critiquing partner for? They are there to tell you the truth even when you really don’t want to hear it. I sent the first few chapters of my WIP to her and after the first two chapters; she sent me a lot of questions that I missed.

I sent her the next two chapters, and she sent me her opinion came the hard truth. If she wasn’t right and if I didn’t value her thoughts, it wouldn’t bother me. The first time I read it hurt my feelings. But after her remarks soaked in, I was able to look at it objectively.

I have to rework a huge portion of my new series but it will be better. I guess you could say that a CP is a type of marriage. You don’t always agree but you still love them. I wouldn’t trade my partner for anything.

4 Comments:

At June 10, 2008 4:25 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

*hugs* Glad you feel that way! It's hard sometimes to be objective when people are critiquing your baby. But you're a good enough, imaginative enough writer that you can make something really special out of this series, and I for one will be first in line to buy it.

 
At June 10, 2008 12:06 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Huge hugs!!!!!!!!!

 
At June 16, 2008 12:31 PM , Blogger Jamie Ford said...

My crit partner is a voracious reader and really knows her stuff. Plus she's an awesome editor. I would be lost without her...

 
At June 16, 2008 10:23 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Hey Jamie. I agree, I would be lost without Naomi. She knows what kind of product that I'm trying to produce and she won't let me do anything less then my best.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home