November 14, 2006

New Start

Hey everyone. I just sent several copies to my agent who will then send them out to editors. Again with the waiting but it’s part of the job. I was supposed to take a break but I wanted to immediately start on the next book. Book 2, which is called ‘True Path’. I can’t figure out why the first chapter or two is the hardest. I stumble about writing these chapters. It’s coming a little easier but not like I wished it would.

What can cause a writer to inch through the first few chapters? Is it trying just to get to the good stuff? Learning a new mindset for the new book? What ever it is it comes with every book. This will be my third book that I’ve written but it never fails. My mind clogs and I have to struggle with those beginnings.

This book is going to be touching on more things than the last. Some politics, religion and more characters. I’m looking forward to more fight scenes, which my agent said that I need to flush out more. But, I don’t want to draw it out to long. As usual, there is a fine line to flushing out a scene to becoming to wordy. What is your opinion on the subject?

8 Comments:

At November 14, 2006 1:59 PM , Blogger Naomi said...

I always want to start the next project as soon as I've finished the current one ... or sooner sometimes ... I'm already planning out the third book in my series and thinking about an entirely different series!

Personally, I don't struggle too much with the first chapters; I tend to get stuck at the end. Maybe it's like you say - you have to get into a new frame of mind, shake off the old plot, etc. I know you'll do fine once you get going!

 
At November 14, 2006 2:06 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

I think a break wouldn't help. I just have to struggle with the opening. I hope that when I'm on book 6 or something it won't be so hard.

 
At November 14, 2006 2:44 PM , Blogger Naomi said...

Just write: there's always the second draft... and a willing critique partner ;)

 
At November 14, 2006 3:34 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Yes I do have a fabulous CP.

 
At November 15, 2006 2:43 PM , Blogger Jackie said...

First chapters for me tend to be the toughest to nail, because I want to get that sweet spot of characterization, voice and plot. And I tend to give away the cow along with the milk in the first draft's opening chapter.

 
At November 15, 2006 4:39 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

When I write the first chapter it's like my mind is stuttering. But finally I'm starting to get into the problem of the story.

 
At November 17, 2006 8:30 AM , Blogger Jackie said...

It's like my mind is stuttering

YES, EXACTLY.

What are you, a writer or something?

;-)

 
At November 17, 2006 11:37 AM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Something like that!!!! : )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home