January 10, 2009

Lesson Learned

As writers, we all protect our ideas furiously so when we find out that someone is using our creation it’s like a blow to our gut. Best case and point is Stephanie Meyers and her Twilight series, someone leaked her unfinished work onto the internet. Whether it was done or not is beside the point. No one has the right to your writing, art or poetry or whatever it may be without your explicit permission.

Only a precious few get to see my writing and to make my blog look more professional I paid an artist to create a character portrait of my main character. Now the artist is selling my characters picture on mouse pads. The only problem is that she is selling them with my name. It’s totally uncool and my agent is looking into legal steps.

What I’m trying to say is guard your precious work with everything you got. Be very careful who you trust.

Helpful Hints

Every once in a while search your name on the web.

Also, search your main characters name and/or series name.

Protect your material, book covers, character pictures and name.

If your name or character is being used without, your consent don’t let it go.

Find out your legal rights.

4 Comments:

At January 10, 2009 11:12 PM , Blogger Fran Friel said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're having this problem. I hope it all works out for the best.

Hugs from CT,
Fran

 
At January 11, 2009 7:33 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

Keep us informed of what happens, won't you?

 
At January 11, 2009 1:34 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Yes, I'll let you know what happens.

 
At January 22, 2009 5:24 PM , Blogger Kim Smith said...

Excellent advice L!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home