May 02, 2006

Being Published

After one signs with an agent, do they change? In the last year, I know several people that have signed with an agent and sold their books. Some of these people’s egos have become so large that they think they are bigger then they really are. It is a total turn off to see people write about how great they are as if we should envy them. What makes anyone think they are so great, an agent or a nice deal with a publisher?

I watched a documentary on Stephen King and the childhood friends say ‘he’s still the same’ is great to see.

I think when you’re an author being polite and putting a mature image out there for all to see is the most important for your career. I don’t think when I become a published author that I will change at least I hope not. I always want to have the reputation of being mature and professional that is very important to me. I wish all the new authors out there many years of success.

6 Comments:

At May 03, 2006 2:59 PM , Blogger Naomi said...

*hugs* hope you're feeling better now.

 
At May 03, 2006 3:11 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Yes. I hope this shows that I don't act inmature. I plan to ignore any more communications from negative people.

 
At May 05, 2006 12:49 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Phoenix- I intend to avoid said people like the plague. I feel a lot better and tend to stay that way. You guys are the best support.

 
At May 05, 2006 3:21 PM , Blogger Naomi said...

You're more than welcome - just remember you don't have anything to prove to said people!

 
At May 05, 2006 4:01 PM , Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Lisa:
I believe divas are usually born, not made (or were made long before selling). Lurking within any of those people had to have been a potential diva. Unless I am completely delusional, there is no difference between me today--20 novels sold and published--and me with no agent, in my regular writers' group, learning craft with everyone else and perfectly content.

A writer I once considered a friend has recently, I found out, been revising the tale of how she got published and denigrating her first agent, as well as passing judgment on many writer friends she made along the way. All I can say is karma's a bitch.
E

 
At May 05, 2006 5:04 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Erica: What goes around comes around! I believe what you send out you get back. ; )

Naomi: You have been such a great friend for a long time and I'm greatful for that. x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home