March 26, 2006

Point of View

As a writer the first thing that one has to decide is the POV (point of view) in, which to write. I have always been comfortable with first person, narrative. But to try something different I have been working off and on a horror in a Third Person POV. There are many POV that you can choose to write in and several that I never knew.


Types of Points of View


1. First Person Point of View- the all knowing narrator.
2. Objective- the narrator knows only what can be heard and seen from outside the characters. Thoughts and emotions of the characters are unavailable.
3. Limited- the narrator knows everything about one character, including thoughts and feelings.
4. Rotating Limited- this allows the reader to get inside more than one character's head, but maintains a consistent narrative voice.


What I'm trying to say my dears is to try different POV in short stories you may enjoy the change.

4 Comments:

At March 27, 2006 9:30 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

You left out the dreadful second person perspective! I'm not sure if that's ever been successfully used outside of Fighting Fantasy books, mind you...

 
At March 28, 2006 2:14 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Thank you for the blog and I will definitely take that into thought. But maybe you email me something on that for my own personal use. Kisses.

 
At March 29, 2006 11:56 AM , Blogger LA Burton said...

phoenix- I have been as well. I never knew how hard it was to switch POV's until I tried. I find myself totally enjoying first and third person.

I'm glad you come to visit and hope you come back often.

 
At April 07, 2006 7:19 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

Hey Lisa, thought I'd return the comment. Nice to see OWG members sticking together. =)

I like first and third person POV, with different degrees of intensity based on the story - but I find that when I write in one perspective for too long, everything else gets hard. So I try to write my short stories in the opposite POV than my current novel WIP, just for variation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home