December 18, 2006

What do you hear?

Hey all sorry I haven’t posted in a while but I’m still sick. Other then that all is well. A while ago, I had post that my agent wanted me to use three out of the five senses in every scene. Then the problem was describing smells in the correct way. I’ve gotten better at this but I’m still working on it.

This post is about hearing. My agent mentioned that in an entire chapter I never described anything that my main character heard. It got me thinking that I really don’t describe sounds that often. So, in this book I’m really trying to remember all the senses.

How about you? Do remember to describe sounds and I don’t mean, ‘I heard a gun shot.’ I mean the sounds of nature, people and elements. I thought I’d just remind everyone to pay attention to the sounds around your main character. Remember you heard it here first.

9 Comments:

At December 18, 2006 10:50 PM , Blogger Kim Smith said...

hmmm good point. i will have to go back and think about sensual things in my work. i can def see how that would involve the reader to a whole diff. dimension.
thanks for sharing!!

 
At December 19, 2006 2:52 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

I think - I hope - I focus a lot on the five senses in my writing. I heard a whole semester on "Writing from Place" which helped as we were encouraged to write short pieces using different senses to get across atmosphere.

 
At December 19, 2006 1:26 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

I don't think that it ever hurts to over use the 5 senses. Because it's easier to take out than to put in.

 
At December 20, 2006 11:51 AM , Blogger Meleta McHarlin said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better.
Thanks for the reminder on senses!

 
At December 26, 2006 10:48 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

I hope you are still feeling better!

Thanks for the reminder. I'm getting back into the swing of writing, and need all the mental post-it notes I can handle.

 
At December 28, 2006 9:57 PM , Blogger Jackie said...

Feel better!

For me, it's describing smells that's killer. UGH.

 
At January 02, 2007 11:22 AM , Blogger Fran Friel said...

What's that popping sound I hear? And that delicate fizz tickling my nose? Oh, it's the icy Champagne bottle I've prepared just for toasting the New Year with you.

Happy New Year, Lisa! And good luck with the pursuit of sensory abundance.

Many Hugs,
Fran

PS - I hope you're feeling much better very soon!

 
At January 02, 2007 12:13 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Thanks Fran. Happy New Year to you too.

 
At January 03, 2007 11:43 AM , Blogger Kim Smith said...

hope you are doing well... miss your posts :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home