September 04, 2007

You and your main character

If your main character in your novel were a real person, would you be friends? I have put so much of myself into ‘Logan Wolf and even Diana’ who is the mc in my other series Heaven and Hell. It would be a toss up if I would totally get along with Logan or if we wouldn’t be able to stand each other because we are too much alike.

I’ve been with Logan for six years. I try to put a lot of myself in her. But I have also put qualities into Logan that I wish I had. But a very important thing to remember is to leave your main character room to grow. We all change and grow it’s just a part of living. One thing that I strongly suggest is not to change you main character too much.

As in some series, changing your main character too much can kill your series. But, what is expectable?

3 Comments:

At September 05, 2007 4:42 AM , Blogger Naomi said...

I think I'd be friends with Scarlett. Not so sure about Lizzie! I think it's definitely crucial to give your character room to develop - real people change so fictional people should too. Although of course, having a character grow is different from having them do a 180 and become a completely different person!

I never consciously put "myself" into a character. I'm sure occasional quirks creep through, but I think deliberately creating an avatar of yourself can put you at risk of having a Mary Sue.

 
At September 10, 2007 8:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lessee... Nika would drive me nuts, but she's a nice good person. Isis is a complete bitch, but she's fiercely loyal so it would be worth it to put up with her. Raven and I would be friends. That's why she scored so high on that "Is your character a MarySue" test. I heartily believe you can make a knowledgeable, powerful character that isn't a MarySue.

 
At September 10, 2007 10:21 PM , Blogger LA Burton said...

Naomi, I think no matter what the mc that a writer creates will have some of themselves in that character.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home